Gig Harbor Insider Guide to local Hikes
Holy smokes summer is almost over- at least in my house, the starting of school is right around the corner which signals tighter schedules and fewer adventures. If you are looking to sneak in a few more outdoor adventures, I have the perfect list of outdoor hikes that are both kid and dog friendly…and not TOO far from home.
Wanna stay in the city? Good news is there are tons of fun woods to explore in Gig Harbor. Here are a few of our faves!
- McCormick Forest Park – 10301 Bujacich Rd NW, Gig Harbor
Nearly 4 miles of bike and foot trails located right in Gig Harbor makes you feel like you’ve escaped far outside the city. This dog friendly trail is 122-acres of old growth trees and abundant wildlife perfect for the whole family to enjoy.
- Cushman Powerline Trail – From 4th ave to Borgen Blvd, a favorite to bike on!
With 6.2 miles of paved trail, this 16 feet wide walkway is perfect for all the bikes, strollers, dogs, and kids. No need to worry about cars or motorized vehicles. Multiple parking lots located on 14th Avenue NW, Hollycroft Way, Kimball Drive (Next to the Kimball Drive Park & Ride Lot), Grandview Street, and Borgen Blvd. and plenty of restrooms, benches, and picnic tables.
- Penrose Point State Park- 321 158th Ave. SW
Lakebay, WA 98349
Located just a short drive onto the Key Peninsula at this park you get the best of both worlds. With nearly 2 miles of saltwater frontage on Mayo Cove and Carr Inlet you can take a stroll on the beach digging for clams or walk the 2.5 miles of hiking trails. With large lawns, picnic tables, and restrooms it’s the perfect daytime getaway for the family (dog too!) You could even camp out at one of the many campsites. *Discover Pass is required!
4.Sehmel Homestead Park- 10123 78th Ave NW Gig Harbor, WA 98332
This park has it all, with sports fields, playgrounds for the littles and even an outdoor performance amphitheater. It hosts 4 miles of beautiful trails perfect for the family and pooches.
- Maple Hollow Park- 4411 Van Beek Road KPN Lakebay, WA 98349
This hidden gem on the Key Peninsula is a 58 acre site, with a beautiful hike down to the beach where you can catch a gorgeous view of Mt. Rainier. You can also find picnic areas along the trail before you get down to the beach.
Want to venture farther? Here are some hikes within a few hours of Gig Harbor that would make for a good day trip. (and kiddo/dog friendly!)
Hikes with waterfall views!
- Ueland Tree Farm, 30 minute drive- easy, local hike with a cute little waterfall at the end!
- Franklin Falls, 1 hr 20 min. drive- an easy and beautiful 2 mile adventure in the snoqualmie region
- Myrtle Falls, 2 hr drive- just a 0.4 mile walk from Paradise on Mt. Rainer takes you to this beautiful waterfall, with plenty other things to explore on the mountain
- Wallace Falls, 1.5 hr drive- a little more moderate of a hike, this 4.5 mile loop leads to a beautiful waterfall surrounded by mountain views. The kiddos might love the interesting steps and switch backs!
- Marymere Falls, 2 hr 20 min drive- take the family to search for this 90-foot cascading falls in mossy old growth woods.
Hikes with fun scenery and wildlife!
- Mary E Theler Wetlands, 30 min. drive- This trail is not dog friendly, but is great for kids and strollers with a wooden-bridge path that goes over the wetlands.
- Hummocks Trail, 2.5 hr drive- 2.4 miles roundtrip and relatively flat makes this trail perfect for little legs with odd hills left by the Mt. St. Helens eruption
- Swamp Trail, 55 min drive- This short 1 mile hike has cute little cards along the way telling of a mythical swamp monsters for you little and bigs to enjoy
- Ape Caves– 2 hr. 45 min. drive- Easily explore this lava tube, just beware no dogs are allowed in the caves.
There are so many places to adventure here, let me know your favorite places to experience the amazing Pacific Northwest so I can check it out for myself!
Cheers to getting outdoors!
Latest posts by pakagedstudio (see all)
- All about Gig Harbor Gondola - July 7, 2019
- Gig Harbor Home For Sale: 7425 108th St NW - March 6, 2019
- Insiders Guide to Contractors for Snow Days- Snow Plows to Generators - February 11, 2019